A friend of mine put out a facebook message if anyone was willing to help load books for the Give-A-Kid-A-Book Campaign this Sunday am. I was more than happy to lend a hand or I should say some muscle! Our group of awesome volunteers loaded 10,000 books in less than an hour.
Next week the books will be distributed to kids in our community. Because of the great turn out of new books donated and the financial support by the community, each child, will be able to receive two books.
Did you know donations are accepted all year long? Donations of new, unwrapped books for babies, children, or teens to age 18 can be dropped off at any Brown County Library at any time. Just let them know they are for Give-A-Kid-A-Book! Help every child discover the joy of receiving one’s very own book.
Did you know?
- If a child reads for 20 minutes every day, they are exposed to about 1.8 million words of text every year. That is 137 new words per minute!
- If families read together for 20 minutes a day, 7 days a week, they get more than 121 hours of bonding time every year!
- Many states use third-grade reading scores to predict the number of jail cells they might need in the future (about three out of five prisoners in America are illiterate).
- For every year you read with your child, average lifetime earnings increase by $50,000. You make a $250,000 gift to your child from birth to age 5 by reading aloud, just 20 minutes a day!
- Children who have not developed some basic literacy skills by the time they enter school are 3–4 times more likely to drop out in later years.
Stats from the following website: http://www.kidcentraltn.com/article/benefits-of-reading-to-your-child